Wednesday, May 12, 2010

boy's own


In a roundabout way - perhaps we will reveal more on the weekend - we discovered another fabulous book about the beautiful island we will add to our groaning shelves.

Jack's Island is a humorous yet heart-wrenching account of the adventures of a boy growing up on Rottnest during the Second World War.

It's by Norm Jorgenson, who has written heaps for young readers.

A review from his site: "Not many books have me laughing throughout, but the adventures and mishaps of the two main characters in Jack’s Island are hilarious.

"I am not exaggerating when I say Norman Jorgensen’s latest offering to the literary world is one of the best books I have read this year.

"Jack’s island is a poignant look at the hardships of war, strong family morals including the occasional hiding dished out to youngsters and the importance of helping neighbors.

"Jorgensen’s characters are lovable and when I shared their adventures there was no doubt life was tough during the war but I felt admiration for their nobility.

"Even tough this is a youth novel for middle readers , it is a great read for adults as well."

No comments:

Post a Comment