Friday, July 04, 2008

rottnest romance #8


It's a dark and stormy (emotionally) evening on the beautiful island. The gorgeous Larissa is as cross as a frog in a sock with her sister. She's peeved, ands wants to pick a bone. When will Nick and the sinister Ashleigh re-appear?
--
Still peeved, she went inside and answered it.

“Hi, it’s Marjorie. How did it go this morning?”

Larissa’s expression had hardened at the sound of her sister’s voice. “Boy, do I have a bone to pick with you.”

There had been a pause from the other end. “Don’t tell me you’re annoyed at having to meet the boat.”

“I wish that was the only reason. Are you ringing to check up on me, Marjorie? Making sure I didn’t forget to meet this Very Important Person?”

“Don’t be silly,” her sister had protested. “I just wanted to make sure they’d settled in OK.”

“You don’t have to worry about that. Mr Montagu managed to make himself quite at home.”

“That’s good,” Marjorie had said hesitantly, sounding as though she was somewhat put off by Larissa’s harsh tone.

“You had no right to tell him what you did.”

“What do you mean?”

“You know perfectly well what I mean! Saying that the cottage really belongs to the company, and of course he can barge in and look it over. It’s my home, Marjorie – I live here!”

“Well…I thought you wouldn’t mind all that much…”

“Of course I mind!”

“But Larissa, a contact with him could mean business for us. If we…”

“Yes, business with him – that’s another thing. Why didn’t you tell me what he was coming to Rottnest for?”

There had been silence from the other end.

“You knew he’s responsible for this new project in Parakeet Bay, didn’t you! And you weren’t going to tell me! You thought that if I knew then I wouldn’t have met him – am I right?”

“Actually,” Marjorie had begun slowly, “that had crossed my mind. But then I thought that you…”

Larissa had sliced into her sister’s excuses. “You had no right to treat me like that! My own sister! Since you think I can’t be trusted to act properly, I might just barge into Mr Montagu’s hotel room and tell him what I think of his grandiose plans for Rottnest! That’ll mess up your high hopes for the business, won’t it?”

Marjorie had begun to say something else, but Larissa had decided she’d talked enough. She had shouted into the receiver, “I don’t want to talk to you any more. And don’t ring me again today!” And with that parting shot she had slammed down the phone. As she stood there she had trembled with barely suppressed anger.

Now, several hours later as she strolled along in the dusk, she wondered if she had over-reacted with Marjorie. She hadn’t yelled at her like that in a long time. Perhaps she had gone over the top a little.

No, she told herself sternly, she hadn’t. Marjorie hadn’t been honest with her, and as a result had left her in a difficult situation. So son’t even think of ringing her and apologizing.

She reached the entrance to the restaurant. She had chosen to eat at a place which was past the main jetty and close to the shore. It had wonderful scenic views with its meals. Out on the water the lights of boats sparkled brightly, and much further away was the glimmer of lights on the mainland.

No comments:

Post a Comment